Wednesday, October 14, 2009

One Year Update

Since Lauren turned one yesterday, I was obligated to take her for her one-year well-child visit at the doctor's office this morning. Originally, I had it scheduled for her birthday, and I'm so glad I changed it to today. Poor girl shouldn't have to be subjected to needles on her birthday. Here are her stats:

Height: 29.5in (50-75th%)
Weight: 20lbs, 13oz (50th%)
Head Circ: 46cm (75-90th%)

After Dr. Smoak declared her perfectly healthy, the nurse came back in to give her the shots. She also snuck in an anemia check - the finger prick test I always dreaded as a kid. At least now they don't use the equivalent of a thumb tack. Instead they use a little contraption that punches the little needle down on the finger to draw the blood. That part didn't seem to be a problem with Lauren. It was the way the nurse was holding her arm and squeezing her poked finger while she got the blood to go in the tiny vial. This went on for at least two minutes while Lauren screamed and cried the whole time. My poor baby made me want to scream and cry with her. And when the nurse came at her finger with a Bandaid, that really put her over the edge.

And what was worse, the finger test was followed up with not one but two shots. (We usually only do one at a time with the exception of the IPV and HIB which we do together and happened to fall on this visit.)

Needless to say, Lauren was not a happy camper when we left. She was so worn out from crying, she fell asleep in the car on the way home (after unsuccessfully trying to take off her finger bandage). I got her in bed and she slept for another hour and a half until I had to wake her up to go pick up Mason from school. (I always hate having to wake her up for that.)

When we got home from school pick-up, she had some pizza and milk (which she started drinking yesterday!) and she was once again her bubbly self. Hopefully, she won't remember these doctor's office visits as she gets older.

No comments: