Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Hallmark Holiday

Valentine's Day is upon us. I know because yesterday I loaded up the kids for a quick trip to Super Target to buy those familiar little school-kid valentines for Mason's Valentine's Day party at school today. Mason wasn't really interested in the boxes of valentines, (he was more obsessed with a can candle on the next shelf) so being a frugal mom, I picked out the cheapest box I could find. Unfortunately, they don't make preschool class size boxes. I had to buy a box of 32 even though I only needed 9. I guess we'll be giving Disney Pixar movie valentines for the next couple of years.

This was the first time I've bought valentines since I was in grade school - 5th grade I think. I can remember making our big red envelopes out of construction paper, glue, and glitter which we taped to the edge of our desk to act as our valentine mail box. On party day, each of us passed out our little white envelopes containing the valentines we carefully and painstakingly selected for each person so as not to imply any sentiment that could be misconstrued causing much embarrassment. Of course the best valentines to give or receive were ones with candy attached. The ones I gave never had candy though - I guess my mom was a frugal mom too.

I have been known to give Dave a Valentines Day card a time or two during our dating years, but I seriously doubt he even remembers it. Neither one of us has ever made a big deal out of the holiday, and (I probably shouldn't admit this) that's okay with me. It's really just a Hallmark Holiday anyway, popularized by the greeting card, candy, and flower industry, right? How did we go from early Christian martyrs to celebrating love anyway? I'd much rather be surprised with candy and flowers on just a random day (hint, hint Dave).

Even so, I have nice memories of grade school Valentine's Day parties, so I will do my duty as a Mom and buy valentines (without candy) for my kids to pass out at their own schools from now on. I will even sit down and address them for my kids even if they are more interested in watching the Cars movie on TV instead. I want them to have their own fun memories of Valentine's Day parties like I do because I love them. And love it what it's all about.

3 comments:

ODonnell Family Blog said...

I love that you wrote this! I have been complaining about trying to find appropriate Valentine's Day cards for my boys to hand out to their class. I loved VDay when I was little, but now I don't see the point in telling your six year old best friend to be your "sweetie". Argh. It's hard to find Valentines for boys to give their friends.

KellyW said...

This is the first year in 9 years that I have NOT bought Valentines! I miss filling them all out for my 2nd graders and delivering them on V-day. I did get Ryan a Valentine's book and we got cards for Daddy. I never gave out candy in grade school either...ha! Those were the days!

Nic said...

Hurray for another mom who refuses to attach candy to Valentines! Will was the only one in the class who didn't give out candy...I felt like a bit of a scrooge...but I had to hold fast to my values!! I'm sure by next year he'll catch on.