... I became a mother. It was the hardest but most wonderful experience I will ever have in my life.
We checked into the hospital at 6:00am on April 6, 2006 - a little anxious because of the low fluid and irregular heartbeat that was diagnosed at the midwife's office the afternoon before. After settling in and getting hooked up to the unwanted but necessary monitors and IV, the process began and I was induced. We sat, we paced, we danced, we rocked, we bounced, but as of 3:00 that afternoon, I was still 5-6cm dilated - just the same as I was when I walked in the doors that morning. I planned to do this with no pain medication, and I had been experiencing what I would later call pretty tough, but tolerable pain. To move things along, we reluctantly agreed to let midwife Tina break my water, and the REAL fun began. After almost three hours of the some of the most excruciating pain in my life (a close second to the kidney stone of 2008) my beautiful son was born at 5:55pm. Memories of that pain quickly faded away.
He needed just a little oxygen to help him get started, but Mason was a very healthy baby despite the potential complications that worried us. The irregular heartbeat disappeared by the time we went home on April 8.
These are just a few of my favorite pictures of his first few months.
His whole life, and even before his birth, Mason has been a very active little boy. Not content sit still, he's always on the move and constantly wants someone to play with him. From his mother, he gets his single dimple, his love of puzzles, and his picky eating habits (with me it's fruit, with him it's vegetables). Everything else about him is all from his Daddy. He loves letters and numbers, has a great knack for remembering things, and can make himself burp whenever he wants to. He's stubborn to a fault, learns very quickly, and loves playing on the computer. He likes to rough-house, has a great sense of humor, and loves his baby sister.
He probably isn't the easiest kid in the world, but I would never change him. He is such a blessing. Happy Birthday, Buddy!
12 years ago



2 comments:
I love the pictures!
I love looking back and remembering! Great pictures too! It is the hardest job we will ever love, isn't it? It's almost been one year since Ryan was born and it's been so fast. Happy Birthday Mason :-)
Post a Comment