Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Baptism Sunday

This past Sunday, March 29th, we celebrated Lauren's baptism. My parents came up from Florida for the occasion, and we had a nice weekend.

Lauren did so well throughout the whole morning. She didn't take a nap before church like I had hoped, so I was a little worried about how she would do, but she was a perfect angel. She always cries when strangers hold her, but for some reason (Divine intervention?) she didn't utter a sound when I gave her over to Pastor Joanne for the sacrament. Lauren just stared at Joanne as she gave the blessing with water, marked her forehead in the sign of the cross with oil, and walked her around the sanctuary as we all sang Jesus Loves Me.

Mason, on the other hand, wasn't so well behaved. I had talked to him all morning about how to behave standing up at the front of the church. I even show him his own baptism video so he would have an idea what was going on. I was hopeful when I saw how nicely he was sitting in the chair beside me when the service started. But just as soon as we were called up front, he started running around in front of everyone. Pastor Joanne even had to stop what she was saying to tell Mason that he either needed to sit down or stand still up there with us. He sat down on the front row, but got up again. That's when our music minister came over to sit down with him. I was of course embarrassed and felt badly that the pastor had to stop in the middle of the whole thing. I should have expected it and just took him to the nursery as usual, but I figured it was a family moment and he needed to be there. Oh well.

Here's a picture of us with Pastor Joanne. Joanne is an interim pastor at our church, but we just love her and hope that she stays at our church permanently.


Here's Lauren in her baptism gown. This gown was made by her great, great Aunt Chris and cousin (twice removed) Elaine. It's quickly becoming a family heirloom. Both my nephews (my brother's children) were baptised in this gown before Lauren.

In a new tradition at our church, (starting this past Sunday) this banner is hung at the front of the church for all baptisms and for the celebration of Jesus' baptism. It bears the name of all the people baptised at our church since it's inception.

Here's a close up of Lauren's name at the bottom. Mason's name is near the top of the picture. (Jan 21, 2007).
Finally, another new tradition was started at our church Sunday. All children who are baptised receive a beautiful FaithChest which is handmade by members of our congregation. Lauren received the very first one. It is used to hold special items in a child's life beginning with mementos from her baptism and any other special things given to her by parents, grandparents, friends, etc throughout the years. She will take it with her when she leaves home and will always have the things to remind her of people who helped her grow in faith.
The chest contains the candle lit on the alter during her baptism, an album to mark special occasions in her life, a children's bible, a prayer blanket knitted by members of the congregation, and her certificate of baptism. The chest is absolutely beautiful and it is such a wonderful new ministry in our church.

I'm so very proud of my little girl. We are truly blessed to have her in our lives.

1 comment:

Jennifer B. said...

That is wonderful. :-)