Tuesday, May 5, 2009

3 Year Check-Up

With Daddy home with the baby during his lunch hour, I took Mason for his yearly visit with Dr. Smoak today. I was a little worried about how he'd do since he's only been once in the last year, and of course there would be a vaccination involved. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The hardest part was getting him to stand still while the nurse measured his height. He measured 38lbs and 38inches - a perfect square according to the nurse. He's 90th percentile for weight and 50-75th percentile for height.

The vaccination came at the end of the appointment. I debated with myself how much to tell him about it ahead of time because I didn't want him to be scared to go to the doctor's office, but I also didn't want him to be caught too off guard. I'm pretty sure he doesn't remember getting any vaccinations since it's been almost a year since his last one. If he did, he didn't let on. I did finally tell him a bit about it before the nurse came in, and he seemed fine. He sat nicely on my lap and only teared up a little bit afterwards. He said, "Mommy that hurt" but quickly felt better when I told him Dr. Smoak gave great suckers to everyone who gets shots. He jumped down and said "I want a blue one to match my shirt." So that's exactly what he got.

2 comments:

ODonnell Family Blog said...

That is so sweet!

KellyW said...

What a brave boy he was. Good job Mason!