Monday, July 27, 2009

Tub Trouble

Saturday night, Mason had a bit of trouble during bath time. He was trying to get both feet into something they shouldn't be in, all while standing up in the water-filled tub. So of course he slipped face first onto the side of the tub which resulted in a gash on the chin.

For the record, Dave was in charge of bath time while I was getting the kids clothes and rooms ready for bedtime. However, I don't blame him for not paying close enough attention. Bath time is usually a bit crazy, especially when you have to watch the baby who is doing everything she can to climb in the tub and the kid who is doing everything he can to empty the contents of the tub onto the floor.

At first, we didn't think much of Mason's injury. It wasn't gushing blood and Mason wasn't complaining too much. Once we did see some blood on the towel, we got Mason out of the tub and took a closer look. Although the cut was probably only a couple centimeters long, it looked pretty deep, so we opted to head to the Urgent Care which was closing in about 20 minutes. Mason became most upset when we tried to cover his injury with a Bandaid.

I stayed home with Lauren while the boys went off for the chin repair, so I don't know details about what happened there. However, Dave said Mason did really well. They wrapped him what looked like a burrito wrapper to keep his hands away from his face while the doctor super glued his gash together. (Thank God the regular stitches weren't required.) Dave tried keeping Mason calm by blowing up latex glove balloons. The doctor said it should heal beautifully with no scarring.

After a quick stop at the Harris Teeter for some blueberries to reward Mason for a job well done (my favorite part of the whole story), they were back. I was expecting Dave to be carrying Mason in the house since by this time it was way past bedtime, but Mason was all keyed up and excited to show me his blueberries and tell me what happened at the doctor's office. He rested well that night and by the next day seemed no worse for the wear.

If I could get Mason to cooperate, I'd take a picture of his chin just to document the occasion, but he's not too keen on showing off his injury.

1 comment:

Amy said...

We love the super glue! It worked really well on Grayson's eyebrow about a year ago! His scar is barely noticable!!!! How scary that must have been though!