I had another appointment with my midwife a few days ago. This time, I had to take Mason with me. It's always an adventure taking Mason to the doctor's office. When I had to give a urine sample, he had to go into the bathroom with me of course, and it's always hard to keep him out of the garbage cans. When my task was done, he tried to take the cup out of my hand saying "Juice, please". Then while we were waiting in the little exam room for the midwife to come in, he was opening garbage cans and drawers, playing with the belly tape measure, and spinning the rolling chair. The worst part was he pooped while we were waiting, and of course I didn't have anything with me to change him. And even if I did, there were signs everywhere telling me not to leave dirty diapers in the exam room. I debated whether I should just wait until my appointment was over or go out to change him in the car and risk missing the midwife altogether. I finally decided to wait, but ended up waiting about 25 minutes before the midwife came.
I found out at this last appointment that I tested positive as a carrier for Group Beta Strep, something I didn't have to worry about with Mason. I know this is common, treatable, and can be handled well with rounds of intravenous antibiotics during labor, but it's still very distressing to me. I don't like the idea of my baby getting antibiotics in her system before she's even born (Mason's never even had antibiotics), and I don't like the idea of having to come into the hospital as soon as labor begins to get an IV. (I'm planning for a 2nd drug-free childbirth, and any intervention makes that all the more difficult.) Mostly, I'm concerned about Lauren's health of course. I'm just doing some reaseach and praying everything turns out okay.
12 years ago
3 comments:
I would have watched Mason while you went to your appointment but I was out of town. Don't kids make doctor's visits 'interesting'? I will pray for you and the baby regarding the strep and antibiotics. I would be worried, too, but I really think it will all turn out well.
Sorry about the GBS+, Karen. I know you really want a natural labor. I *think* I have a friend who instead of receiving IV antibiotics, she got to swallow pills instead... might be something to at least inquire about.
I was GBS+ with both kids.
Oh, and if you ever need to leave Mason somewhere for an appt, don't hesitate to call.
I had the antibiotic IV with the twins and no problems here :) AMAZING that Mason has never had antibiotics!
Post a Comment