Monday, December 8, 2008

A Star is Born

Last night our 9-week-old little girl was the star of our church's annual Live Nativity. She of course played none other than Baby Jesus. Each year, the newest baby in the congregation usually gets the honor of playing Baby Jesus, and by default, her parents play Mary and Joseph. So of course Dave and I joined in to complete the Holy Family. Dave even grew out his beard so he would look more authentic. But having the youngest baby in the church wasn't our only qualification - we also have experience. Two years ago, Mason, who was then about 8 months old, was Baby Jesus, so Dave and I were reprising our roles. (However, this time, we didn't have any lines to memorize.)

To prepare Lauren for her role, I nursed her has much as she would allow so she wouldn't be hungry during her big moment. I also made sure to change her just before we went on because she hates a wet diaper. And because we were going to be outside, I wrapped her up in a beige baby blanket, er... swaddling clothes, so she would be warm. After Dave and I were dressed in our costumes, we were all set. She fell asleep as we started walking outside, so I was thinking she was going to be the best, most beautiful Baby Jesus ever.

Sitting down on the bale of hay beside the manger, with Joseph beside me, the angel behind me, the three wise men and the shepherd and donkey looking on, I thought we must have looked like a pretty good picture of the nativity. The congregation started singing Away in a Manger, and just then, she started crying. I stood up with her to try to calm her down, but it wasn't working. I whispered, "Lauren, didn't you hear what they just sang? 'The little Lord Jesus, NO CRYING He makes'!" But she wouldn't stop. She continued crying through the scripture reading and through the singing of Silent Night. It wasn't until we were walking back into the church that she stopped crying and went back to sleep.

Who would have thought a 9-week-old could get stage fright?

3 comments:

ODonnell Family Blog said...

Karen - this is such a cute post! I think playing the role of Jesus is a lot to live up to!!

Merry Christmas!

Therese said...

Too Cute!! I am sorry we missed it. Playing baby Jesus is a big role. Maybe she just didn't want to play a boy??? Either that or she was just joining in on the singing. Sounds memorable regardless.

Robert, Jennifer and Peyton said...

I love it; classic! She's all girl alright!! Get used to those dramatic moments, guys!!