Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

Since Dave and I started dating in college 11 years ago, I have enjoyed Thanksgiving at his family's house in Orlando every year. But this year, it was a little too hard to travel with a toddler and a newborn, and Dave's family was able to come here, so our annual gathering was held at our house for the first time ever. His Mom and Dad got to meet their new granddaughter for the first time, and his brother and sister got to meet their new niece.

Over the past week we've enjoyed a nice morning walk on a trail at the McDowell Nature Preserve, had fun with Mason on the new backyard swing set, played some games (Apples to Apples is the current family favorite), but mostly we did a lot of eating.

Thanksgiving at the in-laws always includes the typical Thanksgiving fare so I knew I needed to do that here, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to cooking all of that. I've never in my life made a turkey, and I don't remember my mom ever making one (we usually had an atypical Thanksgiving meal or was travelling somewhere). I've certainly never made dressing or cranberry sauce. Thank goodness my dear mother-in-law helped me take care of everything. She took care of the main stuff while I made sides and dessert. We broke out the good china and had a nice meal in the dining room which I timed just right so that both kids were in bed asleep when the eating commenced. When everything was ready, it looked like this.


All in all it was great week spent with family. And this year, it's family I'm truly thankful for. I have two beautiful and healthy children; a loving and hard-working husband; plus wonderful parents, brother, nephews, in-laws, and a host of extended family. There are so many out there less fortunate than me, and I thank God for all the blessings in my life.

2 comments:

ODonnell Family Blog said...

I'm glad you had such a great Thanksgiving!

Therese said...

Sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving... and baby's first Thanksgiving too!