Saturday, March 14, 2009

I'm a Big Kid Now

I think it's now safe to say (without jinxing it) that Mason is fully potty trained! He had been doing pretty well in pull-ups, but was still wet quite often, even though he would go to the potty several times a day. I felt like we stalled a bit, so we moved from pull-ups to underwear about a week ago. It ended up being just the push he needed. (Well that, and a bit of extra bribery with M&Ms and animal crackers.)

Underwear Day 1 was not much fun. For some reason, I started on a Friday (when Dave wasn't home) and we had 5 accidents. I spent my day taking Mason to the bathroom, cleaning up pee, or washing clothes. Poor Lauren was a bit neglected and she let me hear about it quite a bit.

Underwear Day 2 was a bit better. We went out to enjoy the nice weather and put Mason in a pull-up while we were gone, but he stayed dry and even used a public restroom. He only had a couple accidents that afternoon, but it mostly involved poop.

By Underwear Day 3, he was much better. By midweek, he was pooping in the potty. And he's even been coming to get us when he wakes up in the middle of the night and has to go. Usually, he wakes up dry in the morning. He's also much better about telling me when he needs to go, so now I don't feel like I have to ask him every 15 minutes. He's in underwear full-time during the day, even if we go somewhere, and we're just going to use up the pull-ups we have for nighttime until they're gone.

The only things we have to work on now is getting him to go by himself (which I know will take some time) and and having him pee standing up, especially in public restrooms (which I haven't quite figured out since he's too short to reach).

Ahh, my baby's growing up. I can't tell you how happy all this makes Mommy. And if you're a Mommy, I probably don't need to.

3 comments:

Amy J said...

WooHoo Mason!

I used to stand Maddux on the seat of public potties, actually I did that at home too, before he could reach standing on the ground. It worked really well, better than me holding him high enough. And it eliminated the need for him to touch anything. :)

I'm jealous that Mason gets up at night by himself. Maddux won't do that yet.

ODonnell Family Blog said...

Way to go Mason!

KellyW said...

Way to go Mason! I will be coming to you for potty training advice I am sure!