Sunday, November 16, 2008

Boys Love Trucks

I'm very happy our second child turned out to be a girl. We needed someone to even out the testosterone\estrogen balance around here. I've never been a girly girl myself. More of the beer drinking, sports watching type. Growing up I preferred hanging out with the guys, I played sports, I've never done very well with wardrobe choices, and I still don't really know how to put on makeup.

For these reasons (and others) I was happy our first child was a boy. I didn't think I'd know what to do with a girl. Not only did I get a boy the first time around, but it has become clear over the last few months that our son is definitely all boy. Mason is a big wrestler and can't wait for his daddy to come home in the evening just so he can tackle him. It's a struggle to keep him from wrestling with his baby sister. He'd play outside all day if I let him (which has become much harder now that it's getting colder and the daylight hours are getting shorter). And he loves anything that has to do with cars and trucks.

And here's the latest evidence we have a very boyish boy... his current favorite thing to watch on TV is an episode of Ultimate Factories from the National Geographic channel that shows how the largest dump truck in the world is made. Dave was channel flipping one night and came across it. Mason was glued, so we recorded it. Every single day since then he has asked me to "watch dump trucks, Mommy". It has really expanded his boy's vocabulary. He knows exactly what machining a rotor is for ("to make it smooth"), knows all about welding ("makes it stick together"), and knows when "they are making rubbers" (for the tires - we're working on a more proper way of saying that one). He can can identify the "engine block", the "dump box", and the "pistons".

So I'm very thankful we have a little girl I'll get to do girly things with someday. Having a boy is wonderful, but after all of the truck talk around here lately, I think it will be nice to learn a little bit about froo-froo dresses and Barbie Dolls. I'll probably even let her wear a bow in her hair when I take her to her first football game :-)

2 comments:

Therese said...

Karen, you either have a great mechanic or great engineer in the making. It amazes me he picked all that up. You have a bright boy on your hands. I am sure his sister will fall right in his footsteps, but along a more feminine line.

Jennifer B. said...

I can relate to that, Karen. It's like boys are born liking cars, trucks, footballs, basketballs, soccer balls, rocks, sticks, and rough-housing with Daddy. It's pretty interesting to observe.