My previously good-natured baby has turned into one fussy little girl. For the past two evenings and again this morning, she has been very cranky and it's been hard to figure out why.
Saturday night I was thinking it was something I ate or drank that she didn't like showing up in my breast milk. Perhaps it was the half-glass of wine I treated myself to. She was acting like she was starving, but after one swallow, she complained. Loudly. Dave tried giving her pumped milk, but so far, we haven't had any luck getting her to take a bottle. It took a couple of hours, but she finally went to sleep after I found a dark corner under our ticking kitchen clock to nurse her while standing up.
Last night she was fussy again, but this time no alcohol. Again she would nurse for a couple of seconds and then pull away angrily. This went on for at least a couple of hours. It seemed to help when I took off her clothes and diaper and gave her a massage. I think she was having trouble pooping. Once it happened, she finally nursed calmly and went to sleep.
This morning was more of the same. Fussy nursing, and she wouldn't let me even sit down with her. Finally she went to sleep shortly before I had to get her up to go pick Mason up at preschool. When we got back she refused to be anywhere except my arms while I stood up until she fell asleep for her afternoon nap. She hasn't pooped yet today, so maybe that's the problem again. I'm not sure what I should do, if anything, to help her feel better, but I hope we get this worked out soon and that it's not chalked up to colic. A cranky newborn makes everyone else cranky too.
12 years ago
2 comments:
Aww, cranky newborns can be tough. Maddux was a cranky baby too. I bounced on an exercise ball almost constantly as that was the only way he'd be quiet. :) At least it was a good workout.
If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask.
It can be so frustrating with any baby when they just can't sit up and tell you what is wrong. She could have gas or like you said, pooping problems. I would suggest (only a suggestion) some Mylicon (sp?) and maybe eating stuff that will help her loosen her stool. I feel your pain as I remember the day Sierra cried for 6 hours straight, all before I figured out it was gas. Once you figure out what is ailing her, it'll be cake to recognize the signs in the future.
Let me know if you need anything.
Post a Comment